TEST FOR EVALUATING FRENCH (TEF)
Created in 1998 by the Paris Ile-de-France CCI, the Test d’Evaluation de Français (TEF) [French Proficiency Test] is an international benchmark test that measures your level of knowledge and skills in French.
The results are valid for two years.
What take the TEF?
- To study in France (TEF for studies in France)
- To obtain French citizenship (TEF for naturalisation purposes)
- To obtain a resident card (TEF for resident card purpose)
- To emigrate to Canada and obtain Canadian citizenship (TEF Canada)
- To emigrate to Quebec (TEFAQ)
- To certify your level of French proficiency in a professional context, to assess candidates’ proficiency in French in a recruitment context, to position students in a training or study abroad context, etc.
What does the test include?
In Finland, the TEF is conducted electronically in the French Institute in Helsinki.
No prior qualification is required to sit the exam. Candidates must be at least 16 years of age.
The objective of the TEF is to evaluate your French skills on a scale with 7 levels, from level 0 (most basic skills) to level 6 (complete fluency). This scale corresponds to the 6 competency levels, A1 to C2, of the Council of Europe’s Common European Framework of Reference for Languages (CEFR) or
the 12 levels of the Canadian Language Benchmarks (CLB/NCLC).
1 test, 5 examinations:
- Oral comprehension (CO) 40 min – 60 questions – 360 points
- Reading comprehension (CE) 60 min – 50 questions – 300 points
- Oral expression (EO) 15 min – 2 subjects to be covered – 450 points
- Written Expression (EE) 60 min – 2 subjects to be covered – 450 points
- Vocabulary and Syntax (LS) 30 min – 40 questions – 240 points
The duration of these examinations differs for the TEF for resident card purposes; you can find the details on the examinations here (https://www.lefrancaisdesaffaires.fr/tests-diplomes/test-evaluation-francais-tef/).
Which examinations correspond to which test?
The procedures used depend on the version of the TEF selected:
|Studies in France||Mandatory examinations : Oral comprehension, Written comprehension, Vocabulary and syntax, Written expression|
|Naturalisation||Mandatory examinations : Oral comprehension, Oral expression|
|Resident Card||Mandatory examinations : Oral comprehension, Oral expression. Written comprehension, Written expression|
|Canada||Mandatory examinations for immigration: Oral comprehension, Written comprehension, Oral expression, Written expression
Mandatory examinations for a citizenship application: Oral comprehension,
|Québec||Elective examinations : Oral comprehension, Oral expression
Additional examinations (primary applicant) : Written comprehension, Written expression
|Administration fees||10 €|
|Oral compréhension (OC),
Written compréhension (EC),
Oral expression (OE),
Written expression (WE),
Structure & vocabulary
|TEFAQ – TEF Canada, TEF France||207 €|
Added administration fees : 10€
Test schedule :
|Tests 2019||Registration until
|Friday February 1st,||January 18th|
|Friday April 5th||March 22nd|
|Friday June 14th||May 29th|